Depression is a common yet serious mood disorder; it should not be ignored.
It is a real issue for many people, which does not turn off between the hours of 9am and 5pm; luckily, it is also a treatable condition/illness.
Dr. Hunter encourages people to seek effective treatments that are available to them in the workplace.
He offers some practical approaches to tackling this issue.
- Support the employee by helping them recognize the problem
- Many fail to recognize they suffer from depression
- Warning signs include fatigue, excessive forgetfulness, unhappiness, indecisiveness, lack of enthusiasm, crying spells, and social withdrawal
- Talk about it together
- Talking to someone makes things better, not worse
- NEVER SAY "SNAP OUT OF IT"
- Rather, ask how you can help
- Caring people work wonders