Burnout is a process in which a previously committed professional disengages from his or her work in response to stress and strain experienced on the job.
The term burnout has also been defined as a process that begins gradually and gets progressively worse. It stems from the organizational culture and the work environment which includes high caseloads, unrealistic work demands, polarizing political climates, etc.
There are several symptoms of burnout, which include:
- Emotional exhaustion
- Treating clients as objects
- Blaming the victim
- Becoming frustrated and losing empathy
- Sense of low personal accomplishment
- Professional isolation or loss of motivation
Pros and Cons of Burnout include:
- It's an occupational hazard
- We can avoid/control it by the way we think about our challenges and take care of ourselves